Pot-lucks, sports events, birthday parties, friends over for dinner – you name it, I’ve probably made chili for it. This vegetarian chili is the best I’ve ever made – it pleases even meat-eaters!
My daughter doesn’t like super spicy hot food, so this vegetarian chili flies right down the middle for heat. It is chock full of healthy veggies, which makes it a ridiculously healthy meal that can be vegan if you skip the cheese and sour cream!
I hope your family enjoys it as much as mine! It may just inspire you to throw your own chili party!
This vegetarian chili is so tasty the kids have no idea they are eating so many healthy vegetables!
- 2 tbsp olive oil extra virgin
- 1 white onion diced
- 2 medium carrots diced
- 2 celery stalks diced
- 1 green bell pepper diced
- 1-2 jalapeno pepper diced (remove seeds for less spicy flavor, omit for mild chili
- 4 cloves garlic minced
- 2 tbsp chili powder
- 1 tsp paprika
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1 tsp oregano
- 1 15 oz can black beans drained and rinsed
- 1 15 oz can pinto beans drained and rinsed
- 1 15 oz can kidney beans drained and rinsed
- 1 oz can fire roasted diced tomatoes
- 32 oz vegetable stock
- 1 6 oz can tomato paste
- salt and pepper
- Optional toppings: avocado, fresh cilantro, sliced jalapeno peppers, sour cream, cheddar cheese, green onion
In a large pot or dutch oven, heat the oil over medium heat. Add onion, carrots, and celery with salt and pepper (I used about 1/2 tsp of each) and sauté for 10 minutes.
Add the bell pepper, jalapeno, garlic, and spices and sauté another 5 minutes.
Add the rest of the ingredients (black beans through tomato paste) and stir to combine.
Reduce heat to medium-low and simmer for at least an hour.
Taste and season with additional salt and pepper if needed.
Top with cheddar cheese and a dollop of sour cream, or your toppings of choice!
To cook in a crockpot: use a pan for steps 1 and 2, then add the sauteed vegetables to the crockpot with the rest of the ingredients in step 3. Cook on high for 3 – 4 hours, or on low for 7 – 8 hours.
Looking for more great dinner recipes? Try these!